We are pleased to offer several scholarship opportunities to United Methodist students attending or seeking to attend a United Methodist-related institution of higher education. In 2018, more than $2.3 million were awarded to over 1,000 students.
UMHEF accepts applications from January 1 – March 1 every year. Exceptions apply. Check back often for announcements about open submissions.
We invite you to read through the following important information that pertains to all applicants.
- General Named Endowed Scholarships
- United Methodist Dollars for Scholars Program
- Special Scholarships
All students must meet the following criteria:
- Must be an active, full member of The United Methodist Church for at least one year prior to applying. Members of other Methodist denominations are not eligible. International students must be attending a United Methodist-related institution in the United States.
- Must be enrolled or planning to enroll in a full-time degree program (graduate or undergraduate) at a regionally accredited educational institution in the United States. Priority is given to applicants enrolled or planning to enroll in a United Methodist-related college or seminary.
- At this time, Doctoral (PhD) candidates are not eligible.
Other Important Notes:
- Students may receive only ONE scholarship from UMHEF per year.
- Students may apply for both of our main scholarships (General Named Endowed and UM Dollars for Scholars) and will receive the largest award for which they qualify.
- Unless otherwise noted, scholarship applications may only be submitted between January 1 and March 1.
- All awards are made for the fall term each year.
- UMHEF will transfer award funds to the recipient’s school in the fall after verification of full-time enrollment is received from the school’s Registrar’s Office. It is the recipient’s responsibility to request and ensure that their Registrar’s Office sends verification of their enrollment to UMHEF no later than October 1. A reminder about this requirement will be sent with award notifications.
- Award checks will not be mailed out until after mid-October.