Paying for college can be stressful. For many families, affording higher education is the number one factor when deciding where a student can and will attend. UMHEF wants to help make it financially possible for all qualifying United Methodist students to attend a UM-related college, university, or even seminary.
Recently, we have heard from many students experiencing unique challenges this year. In light of these challenges, the application season for our main scholarship programs has been extended through March 19, 2021 for the 2021-2022 academic year.
UMHEF offers several scholarship opportunities to United Methodist students attending or seeking to attend a United Methodist-related institution of higher education. Last year, UMHEF awarded more than $2.3 million to over 1,000 students. YOU can be one of those scholars!
About Our Scholarship Programs
- General Named Endowed Scholarships
- United Methodist Dollars for Scholars Program
- Special Scholarships
All students must meet the following criteria:
- Must be an active, full member of The United Methodist Church for at least one year prior to applying. Members of other Methodist denominations are not eligible. International students must be attending a United Methodist-related institution in the United States.
- Must be enrolled or planning to enroll in a full-time degree program (graduate or undergraduate) at a regionally accredited educational institution in the United States. Priority is given to applicants enrolled or planning to enroll in a United Methodist-related college or seminary. A list of these schools can be found here.
- At this time, Doctoral (including PhD and any other doctorate-level program) candidates are not eligible.
- International students, for which a very limited amount of scholarship funds are available, may apply using the General Named Endowed Scholarships application.
Other Important Notes:
- Students may receive only ONE scholarship from UMHEF per year.
- Students may apply for both of our main scholarships (General Named Endowed and UM Dollars for Scholars) and will receive the largest award for which they qualify.
- All awards are made for the fall term each year.
- UMHEF will transfer award funds to the recipient’s school in the fall after verification of full-time enrollment is received from the school’s Registrar’s Office. It is the recipient’s responsibility to request and ensure that their Registrar’s Office sends verification of their enrollment to UMHEF no later than October 1. A reminder about this requirement will be sent with award notifications.
- Award checks will not be mailed out until after mid-October.
- Scholarships offered by UMHEF are completely separate from those offered by the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM). You are welcome to apply for both, but must apply for ours using a UMHEF application. You can only receive one scholarships from UMHEF per year.