Applications for most awards are currently closed.
Paying for college can be stressful. For many families, affording higher education is the number one factor when deciding where a student can and will attend. UMHEF aims to help make it financially possible for all qualifying United Methodist students to obtain higher education, especially those attending UM-related institutions.
UMHEF offers several scholarship opportunities to United Methodist students attending or seeking to attend a United Methodist-related institution of higher education. In rare cases, awards are also given to UM students attending other schools. Last year, UMHEF awarded more than $2.3 million to over 1,000 students.
About Our Scholarship Programs
- United Methodist Dollars for Scholars Program
- General Named Endowed Scholarships
- Special Scholarships
All students must meet the following criteria:
- Must be an active, full member of The United Methodist Church for at least one year prior to applying. Members of other Methodist denominations are not eligible. International students must be attending a United Methodist-related institution in the United States.
- Preference is given to students enrolled or planning to enroll in a full-time degree program (graduate or undergraduate) at a regionally accredited United Methodist-related college, university, or seminary in the United States. A list of these schools can be found here. In rare cases, students attending non-UM-related schools may also be awarded.
- For those applying for the UM Dollars for Scholars program, you must be attending a school that participates in the program.
- At this time, Doctoral (including PhD and any other doctorate-level program) candidates are not eligible.
- International students, for which a very limited amount of scholarship funds are available, may apply using an application created specifically for students outside of the US.
Other Important Notes:
- Students may receive only ONE scholarship from UMHEF per year.
- Students may apply for both of our main scholarships (General Named Endowed and UM Dollars for Scholars) and will receive the largest award for which they qualify.
- All awards are made for the fall term each year.
- UMHEF will transfer award funds to the recipient’s school in the fall after verification of full-time enrollment is received from the school’s Registrar’s Office. It is the recipient’s responsibility to request and ensure that their Registrar’s Office sends verification of their enrollment to UMHEF no later than October 1. A reminder about this requirement will be sent with award notifications.
- Award checks will not be mailed out until after mid-October.
- Learn more on our FAQs page.
- Scholarships offered by UMHEF are completely separate from those offered by the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM). You are welcome to apply for both, but must apply for ours using a UMHEF application. You can only receive one scholarship from UMHEF per year.