APPLICATION FOR THE 2019-2020 ACADEMIC YEAR
The United Methodist Dollars for Scholars (UMDFS) program involves matching support from a student’s church, UMHEF, participating United Methodist-related schools, and participating UMC conference foundations. You may apply for both the General Named Endowed Scholarship [link to General Named Endowed page] and UMDFS program through UMHEF and we will provide you with the largest scholarship support for which you qualify.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Your church supports the student with $1,000 (on a church check sent to UMHEF)
- UMHEF will match that $1,000
- Participating United Methodist-related schools will match with $1,000
- Participating UMC Conference Foundations may match up to $1,000
- Your potential scholarship total is up to $4,000
- You must apply annually to be awarded a scholarship each school year
List of participating schools and conference foundations can be found in the PDF linked at the bottom of this page.
BASIC CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY
- Must be an active, full member of The United Methodist Church for at least one year prior to applying. Members of other Methodist denominations are not eligible.
- Must be enrolled or planning to enroll in a full-time degree program (graduate or undergraduate) at a United Methodist-related college or seminary in the United States.
- International students must be attending a United Methodist-related institution in the United States.
- Doctoral (PhD) candidates are not eligible.
APPLICATION PROCESS – READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS!
- Submit either a paper or online application, not both. Submit the online form below or download the PDF linked at the bottom of this page, fill it out electronically then print and sign before mailing. You will be considered for only one award from UMHEF during an academic year. Faxes and photocopies of the application and/or supporting documentation will not be accepted.
- Complete in full. Every question must be answered and all sections of the form must be completed; please type or print legibly.
- We are currently only accepting applications for students planning to enroll in a 2-year college. These applications must be postmarked no later than June 1, 2019. Applications received after that deadline will not be considered by the Scholarship Review Committee.
- Additional Required Materials: For those using the online application form, your application will not be complete until we receive your additional required materials (also postmarked no later than June 1, 2019) in the mail at our offices. These include an Applicant Photo and Confirmation Form to be signed by your pastor. This form will be emailed to you upon receipt of your online application. You may also download it on our Resources page.
- A check for $1,000 payable to UMHEF from the sponsoring church (no personal checks) must be mailed with the completed paper application or confirmation form; online applications will not be processed until the mailed check is received.
- Applicant Pledge: By submitting the online form, you agree that, to the best of your knowledge, the information provided is correct and complete; and also give permission to UMHEF to use your photograph and/or personal statement in print or digitally to promote the Foundation, and to also release your information to external church-related institutions (e.g. conference foundations and annual conference newspapers) for possible use in publications.
Mail completed application and required documents to:
United Methodist Higher Education Foundation
P.O. Box 340005
Nashville, TN 37203-0005
BEFORE YOU BEGIN FILLING OUT THE ONLINE APPLICATION
Once you begin filling out the application, you will NOT be able to save it and come back. If you quit before completing the application, you will have to start over again. You may find it helpful to print a hard copy of the online application form first to prepare for filling it out online. Once you've submitted your application you will not be able to make changes or additions. For your convenience, before you begin filling out the online application, please gather the following information:
- UM church membership information, including church address and pastor's email.
- If, how, and when your church will provide you $1,000 check to be matched through the program.
QUESTIONS? Check out our FAQ first.