Are you a United Methodist student looking to attend or already attending a UM-related college, university, or seminary? It is our goal to make higher education financially possible for UM students like you. The United Methodist Higher Education Foundation awards scholarships each year to deserving students all over the country. Each year, we distribute over $2.3 million annually to more than 1,000 students attending over 100 United Methodist-related institutions of higher learning.
ELIGIBILITY FOR ALL SCHOLARSHIPS
- Must be an active, full member of The United Methodist Church for at least one year prior to applying. Members of other Methodist denominations are not eligible. International students must be attending a United Methodist-related institution in the United States.
- Must be enrolled or planning to enroll in a full-time degree program (graduate or undergraduate) at a regionally accredited educational institution in the United States. Priority is given to applicants enrolled or planning to enroll in a United Methodist-related college or seminary.
- At this time, Doctoral (PhD) candidates are not eligible.
- Students may receive only ONE scholarship from the Foundation per year.
- OUR MAIN APPLICATIONS ARE THE GENERAL NAMED ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP (Competitive) & UM DOLLARS FOR SCHOLARS (only requires a church sponsorship). Students may apply for both and will receive the largest award for which they qualify.
- All awards are made for the fall term each year.
- UMHEF will transfer award funds to the recipient’s school in the fall after verification of full-time enrollment is received from the school’s Registrar’s Office. It is the recipient’s responsibility to request and ensure that their Registrar’s Office sends verification of their enrollment to UMHEF no later than October 1. Award checks will not be mailed out until after mid-October.
General Named Endowed Scholarship Application Process:
(Note: A different application process applies to UM Dollars for Scholars, which can be found here.)
- Go to the General Named Endowed Application. You may choose to fill out the application using the provided online form, or scroll to the very bottom of the page and click on the link to download a printable copy. Every question must be answered and all sections of the form must be completed; please type or print legibly. Applications not complete by the deadline will not be considered by the Scholarships Committee.
- If you choose to fill out the online application, you will receive a confirmation email upon submission with further instructions to complete the application process.
PLEASE ALSO NOTE:
- Official Transcript (no copies) of your most recent academic work showing grades through Fall Semester
- Letters of Recommendation: Instructions for each letter are given in the confirmaion email received after submitting the online application form and on page 5 of the printable application. It is important that these letters be enclosed with your complete application when it is mailed to UMHEF.
- Applicant Essay: On a separate sheet of paper, write an essay of 200 words or less, including information as indicated in in the confirmation email (online applications) and on page 5 of the printed application.
- Picture of Applicant (formal shot preferred)
- Signed Applicant Pledge (print from confirmation email)
- SEND ONLY ONE APPLICATION. Applicant will be considered for only one award from UMHEF funds during an academic year.
- If possible, you are encouraged to have your completed application (including transcript, recommendation letters and essay) in the UMHEF office at least one month before the deadline date.
Complete application (online or paper) and MAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS above to:
United Methodist Higher Education Foundation
P.O. Box 340005
Nashville, TN 37203-0005