The United Methodist Higher Education Foundation awards scholarships each year to deserving students all over the country. Each year, we distribute over $2 million annually to more than 1,000 students attending over 100 United Methodist-related institutions of higher learning.
TO BE ELIGIBLE for all scholarships students:
- Must be an active, full member of The United Methodist Church for at least one year prior to applying. Members of other Methodist denominations are not eligible.International students must be attending a United Methodist-related institution in the United States.
- Must be enrolled or planning to enroll in a full-time degree program (graduate or undergraduate) at a regionally accredited educational institution in the U.S. Priority is given to applicants enrolled or planning to enroll in a United Methodist-related college or seminary. Doctoral (PhD) candidates are not eligible. .
- At this time, Doctoral (PhD) candidates are not eligible.
Students may receive only ONE scholarship from the Foundation per year. OUR MAIN APPLICATIONS ARE THE GENERAL NAMED ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP (Competitive) & UM DOLLARS FOR SCHOLARS (Only requires a church sponsorship)....students can apply for both, and we'll ensure they receive the largest award they qualify for. All awards are made for the fall term each year. UMHEF will transfer award funds to the recipient’s school in the fall after verification of full-time enrollment is received from the school’s Registrar’s Office. It is the recipient’s responsibility to request and ensure that their Registrar’s Office sends verification of their enrollment to UMHEF no later than October 1. Award checks will not be mailed out until after mid-October.
General Named Endowed Scholarship Application Process:
(Note: UM Dollars For Scholars has different process, reference scholarship guidelines in search.)
- 1. Use scholarship search and Complete application in full (General Named Endowed Application) (The other main application is UM Dollars for Scholars...remember you can send in an application for both, but will only receive one!). Every question must be answered and all sections of the form must be completed; please type or print legibly. Applications not complete by the deadline date will not be considered by the Scholarships Committee.
- 2. An Official Transcript (no copies) of your most recent academic work (with grades through Fall Semester) must be submitted with your application.
- 3. Letters of Recommendation: Instructions for each letter are printed on page 5 of the application. It is important that these letters be enclosed with your complete application when it is mailed to UMHEF.
- 4. Applicant's essay: on a separate sheet of paper, write an essay of 200 words or less, including information as indicated in Applicant's Essay Guidelines on page 5 of the application.
- 5. Picture applicant (Formal shot preferred)
- 6. Signed Applicant Pledge (print from confirmation email)
- SEND ONLY ONE APPLICATION. Applicant will be considered for only one award from UMHEF funds during an academic year. Scholarship fund descriptions are available under scholarship search.
- You are urged to have your completed application (including transcript, recommendation letters and essay) in the UMHEF office at least one month before the deadline date.
Complete application (online or paper) and MAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS above to:
United Methodist Higher Education Foundation
P.O. Box 340005
Nashville, TN 37203-0005