Holly Elliott and Laurel Glass Scholarship for Persons Who Are Deaf, Deafened, Deaf-Blind, or Hard of Hearing
This scholarship provides grants to attend any United Methodist theological school for individuals who are:
- Culturally deaf (persons who use American Sign Language as their primary language)
- Orally deaf (persons who use speech reading or other non-manual methods of communication)
- Deafened (persons who become deaf after speech was established at roughly four years of age)
- Late deafened (persons who became deaf as adults, after age eighteen)
- Deaf-blind, or hard of hearing
The grants are intended for seminary education for persons wishing to be prepared for specialized ministries in the church, including, but not restricted to those who wish to become ordained.
- Be enrolled in a United Methodist Theological School
- Be culturally deaf, orally deaf, deafened, late deafened, deaf-blind, or hard of hearing (Applicant is required to provide documentation of disability.)
- Be preparing for specialized ministries in the church
How to Apply
The deadline for this application has passed. Watch for details for the 2020 application later this year. Applicant is also required to provide documentation of disability. Additional required documents and/or qualifying materials may apply.
Chaplain Samuel Grover Powell Scholarship
This scholarship provides financial assistance to students preparing for chaplaincy in any branch of the military. The fund was established in 1980 by the family and friends of Chaplain Powell after his death. The Reverend Samuel Grover Powell served as a chaplain in the United States Air Force for 28 years. He believed that “Military people deserve the best qualified chaplains, for they are not only serving God, but their country.”
- Be enrolled at an accredited theological seminary
- Be in either their middle or senior year
- Be involved in the Chaplain Candidate (Seminarian) Program or serving a military reserve component after having completed an active duty tour in one of the United States armed forces.
- Preference is given to students in their senior year who plan to serve in the United States Air Force. However, persons preparing for chaplaincy in any branch of the military will be considered.
How to Apply
The deadline for this application has passed. Watch for details for the 2020 application later this year.