DEADLINE IS JULY 1ST - APPLY TODAY!
Award: Amount to be determined annually. Awards are made for one academic year. If you receive one award, you may apply for a second year; however, new applicants will be given priority each year. A person may not receive awards for more than two academic years.
Purpose: To provide scholarship assistance to students preparing for chaplaincy in any branch of the military.
History: This fund was established in 1980 by the family and friends of Chaplain Powell after his death. The Reverend Samuel Grover Powell served as a chaplain in the United States Air Force for 28 years. He believed that “Military people deserve the best qualified chaplains, for they are not only serving God, but their country.”
Eligibility: Applicant must:
- Be enrolled at an accredited theological seminary
- Be in either their middle or senior year
- Be involved in the Chaplain Candidate (Seminarian) Program or serving a military reserve component after having completed an active duty tour in one of the United States armed forces
- Preference is given to students in their senior year who plan to serve in the United States Air Force. However, persons preparing for chaplaincy in any branch of the military will be considered.
Application: Use the Powell Scholarship Application, In addition, the applicant must provide:
- A letter which included a brief personal history and a statement about your decision to chose military chaplaincy as a career
- A recent photograph
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- A financial statement
- A report on your ministry in the Chaplain Candidate (Seminarian) program
Stipulations: Awards must be used for the payment of tuition. Checks will be mailed directly to the business office of the school where you are enrolled, with instructions that the full amount be applied to upon completion of seminary, ordination and endorsement.
Deadline: Application must be received in the UMHEF scholarship office by July 1st.