- Students Voices
- Give Today
United Methodist Leadership Scholars
An Initiative of the Southeastern Jurisdiction
of The United Methodist Church
The United Methodist Leadership Scholarship (UMLS) has parameters of merit based on church and community involvement as well as scholastic achievement. UMLS is for United Methodist student applicants in the southeasteastern jurisdiction (SEJ) who will attend a SEJ United Methodist-related institution of higher learning. The applicant must exhibit exceptional leadership characteristics and promise for church and community leadership in the future. They must have the ability to articulate their future vocational goals as they relate to personal faith and leadership in the church. These are $10,000 yearly scholarships that require reapplication annually to assure parameters of merit are being maintained. FOR THE 2014-2015 ACADEMIC YEAR, TWO UMLS SCHOLARSHIPS WILL BE AWARDED.
Please read instructions completely to determine your eligibility. If you do not qualify for the UMLS Scholarship, please refer back to the umhef.org website for other scholarship opportunities.
- Applications may be submitted online from November 10 to January 10.
- A high school senior (for sequential years, the awarded scholar will reapply)
- A current and active member of the United Methodist Church in the SEJ
- Possess a minimum of a 3.5 grade point average
- Demonstrate long-term commitment and leadership in the United Methodist Church
- Complete online application – APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE UNTIL ALL FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED BY UMHEF.
- Official copy of high school transcript (College transcript for sequential years)
- Copy of ACT/SAT score
- Resume detailing your leadership roles in your church, school, and community with contact names and numbers for verification
- Written reference from clergy addressing your promise for leadership in the United Methodist Church
- Written references from a teacher (professor for sequential years) and community volunteer addressing your academic achievement and leadership abilities
- Essay – How do you envision using your leadership skills in the future for the United Methodist Church? (For sequential years, what knowledge have you gained that will assist your leadership skills in the future for the United Methodist Church?)
- No awards will be made prior to February 1.
- UMHEF will transfer the $10,000 to the recipient's school in the fall after verification of full-time enrollment is received from the school's registrar's office.
- It is the recipient's responsibility, after they arrive at school in the fall, to request the school's registrar's office to send verification of their enrollment to UMHEF. Award checks will not be mailed out until after mid-October.
UMLS Southeastern Jurisdiction Schools
|Andrew College||Lindsey Wilson College|
|Bennett College||Martin Methodist College|
|Bethune-Cookman University||Methodist University|
|Birmingham-Southern College||Millsaps College|
|Brevard College||North Carolina Wesleyan College|
|Claflin University||Paine College|
|Clark Atlanta University||Pfeiffer University|
|Columbia College||Randolph College|
|Duke University||Randolph-Macon College|
|Emory and Henry College||Reinhardt University|
|Emory University||Rust College|
|Ferrum College||Shenandoah University|
|Florida Southern College||Spartanburg Methodist College|
|Greensboro College||Tennessee Wesleyan College|
|High Point University||Union College|
|Hiwassee College||Virginia Wesleyan College|
|Huntingdon College||Wesleyan College|
|Kentucky Wesleyan College||Wofford College|
|LaGrange College||Young Harris College|
BEFORE YOU BEGIN FILLING OUT THE ONLINE APPLICATION
Once you begin filling out the application, you will not be able to save it and come back. If you quit before completing the application, you will have to start over again. You may find it helpful to print a hard copy of the online application form first to prepare for filling it out online. Once you've submitted your application you will not be able to make changes or additions.
United Methodist Leadership Scholars ApplicationAn Initiative of the Southeastern Jurisdiction The United Methodist Church
*** Please fill out all of the information below.
|Privacy statement: UMHEF values the security of your data. No information entered here will be shared or used for any purposes beyond those required for your application for a scholarship. All submitted data is encrypted and stored for use by our office only.|